I have decided that I need to free a bit more time this year for sewing - not so much because I love doing it, but because me and the children need clothing and I do have quiet a bit of fabric that I can use. But somehow I have trouble getting to it. January was pretty slow in the sewing department, but I did some reorganizing in my little temporary sewing nook (in the laundry room). This is where I sew right now. It doesn't have enough light, but at least the doors can be closed and mess hidden quickly =).
I also went through all my Burda issues, separated the actually patterns from the magazine and the instruction booklets. I scanned the pages with the line drawings from the instruction booklets, cropped out the unneccessary, added the issue number and printed each issue on one sheet of paper (double-sided). Now I can go through several sheets when looking for a pattern, instead of all those magazines! It makes it so much easier.
It seems that besides organizing notions and patterns, January was more of a mending/refashioning month. Here are a few examples:
I had a denim skirt that fits pretty good, but it was straight, long and had a front slit. I didn't like the slit (when you sit, it opens) and it started to tear on the top. So, I cut out a wedge from the front, sewed in a piece from a child's recycled jumper, shortened the skirt and voila! A new good skirt. I love it much more now.
I also had a simple black long-sleeve tee with a jewel neckline - very plain and not flattering at all for my figure. So I cut out a v-neck, bound it with decorative elastic and it's much better now:
As I was sorting out nursing clothing (my youngest is done with nursing), I wanted to throw out an ugly nursing top I made several years ago.
It never fit well, but I still wore it . But I found still some extra fabric in my stash and decide to save the top. I took it apart and recut into another top, adding soem parts from the new fabric. Here is the result:
My oldest had a XL t-shirt that she received at an art colony in school.
She wanted to make a cool fitting shirt out of it. I had her take it apart, we recut the pieces and she sewed it together herself (except the double-needle sewing at neckline and sleeve-hems). We left the original hem intact. It came out great, except we could do a bit of a FBA next time. I think she will refashion more shirts like this in the future.
There is one more car-seat (booster) that I gave a new look. Here is the old cover.
I washed it, used it as a pattern and then sewed the new fabric to it, quilting through all the layers in some places. I bound it with elastic and here is the new seat:
At the moment, my daughter cut out a shirt for herself and I need to sew it, but I doubt it will be done in January =). My goal is to sew an item each week or about 50 things this year. I don't think that's impossible. I also want to make some good basic slopers for myself in my current size, so I can sew much more for myself.