My oldest needs a few new good fitting t-shirts. She wanted something very plain and solid colored. After she looked through my stash of knits, she fell in love with this hot pink knit. When I examined it closer, I found out it is actually ribbing, or very stretchy cotton knit with little recovery. I tested a little piece of fabric in the sewing machine and quickly found out that it stretches out terribly. I asked for advice on my sewing groups (NMSL and SewingClothing) and got lots of good advice. I decided to starch the fabric first in order to be able to sew it better. I didn’t a working pattern, so I pin-traced one of her fitting shirts she liked. But as some ladies warned me that ribbing stretches out horizontally, I then took away a bit at the front and back center line plus I folded out a bit of the pattern at about the middle of the pattern. I decided to interface the neckline and hems. I wasn’t sure what to use, so I just cut a diagonal strip from regular interfacing and ironed on the wrong side of the neckline. I decided that I didn’t want to bind it (since I had starched all the fabric and now wasn’t sure of the ration), so I just folded the edge including some of the interfaced part and stitched in place. I used a regular straight cut strip to interface the sleeves and hem. I used a twin needle for neckline and hems. It was very easy to sew the starched fabric, but of course I had no idea how the shirt would fit after the starch was washed out. Well, it turned out really well. Maybe I shouldn’t have reduced the pattern horizontally that much. Taking in at the centerline would have been enough. But it’s just borderline. Fitted, but not too tight. The next shirt I will not cut it that narrow. Generally she is happy with it. I think I would make it a bit longer, although she says it’s long enough =). The neckline is working well so far, but I am afraid that the interfacing is getting stretched out a bit. Maybe it wasn’t such a great idea. I probably should have just bound it. Oh, well. The next shirt should be out of a regular knit, so it will probably be another story, anyway.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Well, it seems we have finally caught a week or two without major events in ministry. So, my beloved took a few days off and we have started major projects in our current home as well as on our new home. The weather was still very cold and rainy last week and the prognosis for this week was uncertain, so we decided to paint the living room. It hasn't been painted for 8 years and is really needed a new coat of paint. Also the carpet in that room has to go! We have avoided doing this every year hoping we would soon move into our new home. But since that home till only has a foundation, we just had to surrender and decide to change the carpet. It has been in here for about 15 years and is almost falling apart. That is not good for our health. We will just probably put in another carpet as we can not invest in any other kind of quality floor in what is not our house. So, we took apart most of the living room and prepared for painting. The children had fun doing that. But all of them wish we could just move the things to new house instead of having to put it all back! Me too. The dining room is the temporary storage for the items off our shelves. But we didn't do any painting yet, because weather changed to sunny and warm and we headed instead to our property to pull weeds !!!! We haven't been able to work on there for about a month and it was like a jungle there. We also have been hauling more dirt into the foundations. Our 13 and 11 y. daughters worked like pros and my 17y. brother helped as well. We are doing all the work ourselves, so it takes quite a while. We hope that soon we will be ready to pour the slab. But the temperatures are so high now and it’s hard to work outside. Meanwhile, we have set up a temporary computer station and the children think it’s cool. They can work standing up!
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Monday, August 07, 2006
We only have a tiny yard and no place to garden. But besides the few apples and pear trees, there is also one wonderful blackberry plant that just kind of grows itself. We don’t do anything with it, other than tie up the long branches to a wall. But it has wonderful large berries each year. This summer is no exception. The berries don’t all ripen at the same time, so usually each day we only pick a small amount. Some of it gets eaten, put on a cake or frozen. But today I managed to pick over two pounds with my daughters, so I decided to make preserves with them. We already tasted some on the fresh rye rolls I baked this evening and it is just wonderful. Here is my youngest girl showing them off:
Monday, August 07, 2006
This weekend we had a special celebration in our town. This year was the 45th time our town hosted Slovak National Festivities. Although we live in Serbia, we are Slovaks and try to keep our language and heritage. I took a walk around town with my girls and we took some pictures I posted on our family blog. What was most interesting for me was a special exhibition about kitchen in the past. There were kitchen set up in an old unused store. I am happy to share a few pictures with you. There are still older people in town who have kitchens like this. A mother making noodles with her daughter helping A typical wood stove full of pots and pans A pantry shelf with all the goodies A cupboard like this housed most of the dishes, pots and pans of a kitchen Another stove with an iron. The stitched picture decorated the wall behind the stove. Another pantry with a "sink". This is how garlic, onions and peppers are kept for the winter. And these are measuring cups.