I have actually sewn these two dresses in June, but it was right at the time with got the news that we had to move out of our home and since then I haven't found the time to post some pictures for them. But finally here they are. They were made for a wedding we attended and I have a picture of the whole family with the happy couple on our family blog. Here is Mimi's dress:
This is the one that gave me a huge headache and I was ready to trow in the towel several times. Sheer material, difficult to cut, difficult to pin, to
sew with, arghh.. but I managed to finish it. And I am so proud. After doing the muslin I found out that she needed a size 8 for the bodice, size 10 at
waist and size 12 in the hips! But now it fits perfectly. There were no shortcuts on this dress. Everything had to be pinned faithfully, everything
had to be basted diligently and I finished the neckline and armholes with bias cut pieces of lining by hand. When I came to the zipper, I knew if I
tried to do it with the machine, I woudl have so much trouble (the sheer fabric sliding and maybe even ruining the fabric). So I studied everything I
could on hand-sewing a zipper, tried a few stitches on a scrap and then tackled the job for the first time in my life. It's not perfect, but toward
the end, it got better. I wrote a full review of the pattern on sewingpatternreview.com
Although this dress was so much more difficult than I expected, yet I was so proud in the end. I feel I have grown so much in my sewing expertise =) through this.
Tatbita's dress was much easier to sew, but although I originally didn't plan on lining it, I had to because it was too see through. After making a muslin I figured
out she needed a size smaller overall. I took the skirt pattern from Mimi's dress, ignored the darts and matched the size to the bottom of her bodice.
This dress has no zipper, but ties in the side seams (she is too young and too boyish in behaviour to handle a fitted dress, LOL - although you would
never tell from the picture - but she is only 11). The skirt I did a very slight A-line. The border actually had a pink solid strip on the bottom, but
I cut that off, because I did have to round off some of the hem and that would be too optically visible. With the busy border being on the bottom you
can't tell right away that the hem is not straight, but curved. She loves it and thats enough for me. She had a sheer scarf saved from a Samaritan's
Purse box that she tied on her back. Here is the review I wrote for this pattern.